Sunday, September 27, 2015

Module 5 Reflection

Think you know your instrument families?!

Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra
I made this Zaption project for my 3rd grade students and am thinking about using it as an assessment once we've discussed instruments and instrument families. I actually really love Zaption and am a little sad that I didn't know about this website when the school year first started. I use youtube videos for listening activities with my elementary students, but now that I've also be assigned to this History of Rock class I'm using multiple youtube clips a day. Most of the time I'll pause or turn down the music to give students something to think about while listening. With Zaption, my annoying interruptions could be eliminated.

Have you heard about Rhythm Cat?
I've been using this "lite" version on-and-off for about a year. Overall, I think the kids really enjoy using the app and it actually makes rhythm reading fun and exciting. I have yet to purchase the full version (for $4.99) for a few reasons:
  1. The game will mark students wrong if they lift their finger up "too soon."
  2. Sometimes, the musical examples make it hard to decipher the beat of the song.
  3. I've noticed some students who will just repeatedly press the green button without actually thinking about what they are doing and they are marked correct.
Diigo has already opened my eyes to resources that I didn't know existed. Right now, my Diigo account only has links for activites/games that I would use with students, but I know I could add sites that provide podcasts and other resources for teachers. I plan on sharing this with my other music colleagues because we are always scrambling to find new technology to use in our classrooms. 


No comments:

Post a Comment