This week starts the big WebQuest project. It couldn't have come at a better time. I've literally just started an internet-surfing project with my high school students and if this WebQuest is successful, I'll definitely use it in the future.
My WebQuest is centered around researching Jazz musicians for my history of rock/pop music class at the high school. So far, the class has been centered around me giving the students information and showing them various youtube clips. This time, I'm giving the students the opportunity to teach me and their peers about a musician that they want to research. I compiled a list of artists and the students will get to choose who they want to research. In my outline, I made sure to provide all of the information that I would give in the WebQuest: description of the project, process/steps, checklist of what to research, websites, and grading rubrics.
Prior to this week I had never heard of a WebQuest and am excited to see how this works. From the examples I've looked at, it seems pretty user friendly. I'm hoping I can test it out with my students next semester.
The discussion this week focused around creating a top-5 list. I actually enjoyed reading everyone's top-5 rather than writing my own - mainly because I felt that there was so much in this chapter and it was hard to narrow down. Also, reading the reasons why my peers selected their various top-5's was insightful, making me look at those sections in the book in a different way.
Twitter continues to surprise me. Earlier this week I used zaption in a Jazz lesson and the students. I took a screenshot of what I was working on and tweeted it. A few hours later, Zaption had re-tweeted it.
As we begin Module 7, I'm amazed that this class is coming to a close. It has been one of the best classes I've taken so far with UFl. The knowledge and resources I've gained have already started to impact and change my teaching.
No comments:
Post a Comment