Alright, I've officially reached the half-way point in my technology class and I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised and how much I'm learning and how many things I'd like to incorporate into my own classroom.
One of the first things I did this week was do the readings and watch the videos on SmartMusic and youtube. I think most music teachers know the value of youtube in the classroom. In the past, before I had access to youtube, I would play recordings of orchestras for students and I'd see them lose interest quickly. In the past year, a technology bond went through in our district, providing either a smartboard or a 70" TV with the ability to mirror whatever is on your iPad onto the monitor. This has been a game changer. Instead of looking through my old CDs I can actually pull up videos of orchestras. The iPad streaming function has also helped me to demonstrate proper instrument technique - for example, I'll have a student hold the iPad to reflect my hands while I demonstrate the proper way to play the xylophone. Students are able to see a "birds-eye" view of how I'm playing the instrument.
I'd never experienced SmartMusic before. In fact, I'd only ever heard about it through my instrumentalist friends in college. I think some of the exercises could be really beneficial for my teaching purposes (ex. rhythm practice, beginning sight reading, and the recorder method book). However, most of the material seems intended for choral and instrumental directors.
I mentioned how important I think background tracks are for practice in the discussion this week. The text discussed how background tracks (which can be purchased or made through programs like Garageband) really encourage students to practice outside of school. As recorder season is quickly approaching, I'm in the process of creating some loops to use in my classroom.
The main projects both involved the program, Audacity. At first, I had problems even opening the program, but once I figured it out, it was pretty user-friendly. I didn't find myself struggling with either project, but I'll admit to prefering the Bart project over the Ma na ma na project. I definitely had some difficulty making my mix flow together. I think Audacity is a great program and resource, but I don't think it's something I would use with my younger students. I could definitely see myself using this with high school students though.
No comments:
Post a Comment